Party party party

| Categories: Business , New Zealand

Blog by Fuel Accountants

IMPORTANT: This post is specific to New Zealand. If you are not a New Zealand business/taxpayer then it is probably not applicable to you.

Are you planning a Christmas function for special clients and/or suppliers and business contacts? Be aware that this will come under the entertainment regime for purposes of tax deductibility. Any expenditure on food and drink
that your business provides off your business premises will be 50% deductible. This extends to any incidental expenditure on things like hireage of crockery, glassware or utensils, waiting staff, and music or other entertainment provided for the function you’re planning.
If you’re thinking of a more public event to promote the business during the festive season, expenditure on food, drink and all the necessary incidentals could be fully deductible. However, be aware that the event can’t cater for your VIPs alone. It must be open to the public on the same footing as clients or business contacts. Its primary purpose must be as a marketing event for the business.
Social gatherings, even on your own premises, are also subject to the limitation.
If you’re planning an event and you’re not sure which tax regime it will fall under, please contact us for information.

Need more advice?